In comparison to most industries, telecommunications is fairly young. And yet, telecom represents one of the most fundamental components of our modern way of life. Smartphones and the internet of things are likely to be the defining features of our generation, and generations to come. Here’s a quick look into some of the fascinating facts regarding the telecom industry.
- The first commercial mobile phone was made in 1973 by Motorola employee Martin Cooper. He used it to call his biggest rival.
- The world’s first “smartphone” debuted in 1993 at Florida’s Wireless World Conference, and was later launched by BellSouth Cellular. It weighed in at little more than a pound and featured an early LCD touchscreen display.
- SMS, and the 160 character limit that came with it was developed in 1984 by Friedhelm Hillebrand and Bernard Ghillebaert.
- Telecom towers are often disguised to look natural in their environment. Fake plastic trees, signs, clock faces, weathervanes, cathedral roofs, drainpipes and telephone poles have all been used to hide the telecom towers.
- Voicemail was invented in 1986 by Scott Jones, a 26-year-old research scientist at MIT.
- The world’s most popular phone was actually the Nokia 1100, which was a basic GSM candybar that launches in 2003. Nokia sold 250 million 1100s.
- Originally, “Ahoy” was used as telephone greetings per the suggestion of Alexander Graham Bell. This was later superseded by Thomas Edison’s, “hello”.
- Speaking of Alexander Graham Bell, he made the very first phone call to his assistant when he exclaimed, “Watson come here, I want you!” He also originated the phrase “to put someone on hold”.
Get In Touch With Delta Intellicom Today!
Our motto is “All things telecommunications” for a reason–Delta Intellicom has your back when it comes to understanding unified communication and the ins and outs of any phone system. You can contact us with questions, and we’ll help you work towards implementing this technology into your business. Move into the new world of business and take us with you when you do!
For over 20 years, Delta Intellicom has served the Maryland, Washington DC, Northern Virginia, and Pennsylvania areas in their phone service and data solution needs. By selling high quality products from leading brand names like Avaya, ShoreTel, and Nortel, Delta Intellicom is the only name you need to know when it comes to phone and data services for your business.